Give Your Home a Cozy Feel
Excerpt from Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons by Tracey McBride
Once the first cold snap sends you to the cedar trunk to embrace
the warm woolen blankets, you will know that the time has arrived
to seasonally adjust your home. Here are six simple ways to bring
that cozy feeling into your house.
- Add warm layers to sofas and chairs by way of paisley or plaid
throws, add attractive runners to visually warm tabletops and
layer hooked or Oriental-style rugs on the wooden floors.
- Slipcover your down comforter in a warming cotton flannel and
add colorful panels of fabric to the windows over your sheers.
- Remember to rearrange your furniture away from drafts and cold
window areas, drawing the sofa or table up to the hearth.
- Now is also the season in which to stack the books you've been
meaning to read on the coffee or side table. If you like, cluster
your easy chairs around the dining room table. Or pull a small
side table near the hearth for cozy games of chess or cribbage,
or perhaps a small supper in front of a gently warming blaze.
- Cluster candles on a plant stand or stack in a fireplace to
add visual warmth to a room. Place small votive candles in salvaged
martini glasses all around your kitchen (add a bit of water to
the bottom so the glass won't crack). This seems to help dissipate
unwanted cooking odors.
- Borrow from nature and gather bouquets of fall leaves and fill
wooden bowls with pinecones, colorful gourds and Indian corn.