By: H. Iacobacci-Miller
Tis the season......we've all noticed the abundance of holiday
decor flooding the stores already. Why not get into the spirit of
things with festive holiday candles? Yes, they can be pricey, but
this easy project can save you money and allows you create one-of-a-kind
holiday candles for any season. For the Christmas season, you can
spruce up your candles with poinsettias, holly leaves, snowflakes
and other Christmas designs.
What you will need:
- Tissue paper (keep in mind your theme, you will likely need
red, yellow, and green for Christmas themes). Also remember that
some tissue papers come with designs like wreaths that you can
simply cut out, making the project even easier.
- Solid colored pillar candles (white or off-white allow for more
- Decoupage medium
- Acrylic paint for accents (ex., to create veings in holly leaves)
- Craft Scissors
- First, you can find patterns for holly leaves, poinsettias,
Christmas trees and more via the internet. Either trace a pattern
onto the chosen colors of tissue paper, cut out your own patterns
or cut out the shapes from tissue paper that already has the designs.
- Cut as many shapes as needed to decorate your candle(s). It's
up to you how much design and color you want.
- Position your shapes onto the candle and b rush the decoupage
medium over the designs to adhere them to the candle(s).
- Allow to dry and then brush the entire candle with the decoupage
- Allow candle to dry completely before adding any painted accents
like the addition veins on holly leaves or bulbs on Christmas
This is a simple project that anyone can do and it is great for
sprucing up plain candles for any holiday season.