Make Your Own Lampshades
By: H. Iacobacci-Miller
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Lampshade – your choice of size/shape
- Fabric – Min. 45" width of a light to medium weight
– decorator fabrics work well. Yardage will vary, but average
yardage per shade will be 1/2 to 3/4 yard.
(hot glue gun can also be used)
- Pencil or fabric pencil
- Decorative trims - gimp trim for top and bottom edges. Optional:
tassels, chainette, or beaded fringe for bottome edge. Note: measure
around shade adding 1" for each section of trim used.
- Marking your fabric
- lay your fabric right side up. Take care in placement of fabric
design because your cut will be on a bias or arc.
- Place seam of shade, face down, near left edge of fabric. Make
slash marks at top and bottom of seam on the fabric. Slowly roll
the shade to the right and continue to mark dashes at both the
top and bottom of shade using a maximum of 1/2" intervals.
When you reach the shade seam stop and mark fabric again at both
the top and bottom of the seam.
- Using your straight edge or ruler, draw a line connecting the
top and bottom marks. Now measure 1/2" away from lines and
create a second row of dashes - this is to allow for overlap.
- With sharp scissors, carefully cut along your outer markings.
- Following manufacturer's directions, apply your spray adhesive
in a light, even coat over the surface of the shade.
- Using the lampshade seam as a starting point, match one straight
edge of fabric to the seam.
- Smooth fabric evenly over the shade until you come back to the
- Fold your overlap piece neatly and use your fabric glue to
- At this point you can either trim away the excess at the top
and bottom or fold in and glud down.
- Adding trims - starting at the seam, glue the fringe to edges
of shade. Overlap and glue the ends of the trim. Note: if using
fringe, glue fringe to bottom edge first and then glue your decorative
flat trim over the top to provide a finished look. You can use
either straight pins or clothes pins to secure trim until glue
has dried if needed.
- Finally - attach your new lampshade and Voila!